10 Questions to ask yourself now:
1. What changes do you hope counselling will lead to?
2. What do you want to change about yourself? How will therapy help you make these changes?
3. How long do you think these changes will take?
4. What are your major strengths? (Abilities, resources, education, employment, personality, feelings, habits, relationships.)
5. What have been your major crises of the last 1–5 years, and how have you handled them?
6. What are your goals? (Ambitions, family situation and satisfaction, school/work situation and satisfaction.)
7. What persons, ideas, or forces have been most useful or influential to you in the past?
8. When are you happy? What are the positive factors in your life right now? (Hobbies? Sports? Family? Security?)
9.What spiritual or religious issues are important to you? How does your culture, heritage, etc., influence you?
10. What do you think a therapist should be like?
When we meet, we can discuss your answers, and thoughts about the above 10 questions. I look forward to working together.
[Source: Zuckerman, E. (2008) The Paper Office (4th Ed). Guilford Press]